Why High Protein Diets Can Affect Your Health: The truth is that this type of protein diet causes rapid weight loss but can have health consequences if not done under medical supervision. If you follow them or are going to do it. We will reveal some information to you.
High protein diets are all the rage. The idea that they “work” is widespread and is that they achieve weight loss in those who follow them.
As warned by the nutritionist Sonia Ruiz, from the Teknon Medical Center and the Mi Tres Torres Clinic in Barcelona. The problem is that most of her followers are unaware of the risks they pose to health.
Before going into detail on how they can affect you, Sonia Ruiz clarifies that “it is important to distinguish between unbalanced hyper protein diets that are made on their own and without any professional monitoring (they are usually the” popular “weight loss diets), and therefore, on the other hand, slightly hyper protein diets recommended by an expert because there is a greater need for this nutrient (in the case of oncological or viral disease, after a surgical intervention or in some specific stage of an athlete). ”
Before Starting Any Diet, Should Consult a Doctor.
For this reason, if a regimen of this type should choose, it is advisable to do so under medical supervision, carrying out tests to follow up and with the necessary nutritional supplements to help compensate for possible dietary deficiencies.
WHAT ARE HIGH PROTEIN DIETS?
The amount of protein recommended in a hyper protein diet ranges between 1.3 and 2 g of protein per kg of body weight per day, when the healthy for the general population is around 0.8 g of protein per kg of weight body, provided they are proteins of high biological value.
In addition, it is suggested not to take more than 20 to 60 g of carbohydrates per day in these regimens, which is very little since we generally eat between 250 and 300 g per day. Thus, in this type of diet:
- 70-75% of calories come from fat (keep in mind that protein of animal origin, the most common in these diets, is rich in fat).
- 20-25% of calories are protein.
- And only 5-10% come from carbohydrates.
This Type of Diet Has Several Effects That Seem Positive When You Want to Lose Kilos:
- The feeling of hunger is reduced. Proteins inhibit the receptors that make us have an appetite, so you do not starve between meals with less meat.
- It increases caloric expenditure at rest because the body has to burn more energy to metabolize protein. To metabolize the different nutrients. The body uses energy and calories: if to metabolize hydrates, it uses 10 to 15% of power; for proteins, it uses 25 to 35%.
- It increases muscle mass, and this also helps you burn fat.
When you follow a diet rich in protein and low in carbohydrates, a situation called ketosis occurs similar to that which occurs when there is a prolonged fast.
- Your body needs fuel to function, and when it cannot find carbohydrates (its primary source of energy), it begins to burn fat. Starting the process of ketosis (and weight loss).
- In ketosis, the body generates many acids, mainly in the form of phosphates and sulfates.
An Excess of Proteins Raises Acids in The Body
However, ketosis and excess protein have several adverse health effects that can be additional or less serious:
- I was feeling nausea, loss of appetite, halitosis, headache, dizziness, and insomnia.
- Constipation is extra of the most frequent problems. To avoid this, a good fiber supplement (which a specialist should recommend) and a large intake of fluids are essential.
- The kidney is overloaded because the products derived from protein metabolism are eliminated via the kidneys. For this reason, the contribution of fluids is essential to minimize this overload. This type of diet is not mentioned for people with kidney disease or liver problems.
People With Kidney or Liver Problems Should Not Follow These Types of Diets
Another effect of the catabolism of proteins is increased uric acid and the consequential attacks of gout or kidney stone problems.
On the other hand, there is a low content of fruits and vegetables essential in any balanced diet in this type of diet and can cause significant metabolic imbalances if there are deficiencies.
In addition, it is not only necessary not to abuse protein. Still, it must also consider its origin: a recent study links excessive consumption of red meat with a higher incidence of cardiovascular diseases and type two diabetes and a higher risk of developing colon, esophagus, and stomach cancer.
Also, find more helpful resources at healthsaf
Searches Related to High Protein Diet
[high-protein diet plan for weight loss]
[high protein diet plan india]
[high-protein diet recipes]
[high protein foods]
[high protein diet plan for weight loss pdf]
[high protein diet plan pdf]
[high protein diet veg]
[disadvantages of high-protein diet]